Saturday 23 October 2010

Studio Visits Berlin: It's Raining Elephants and Sonia Danowski






Sonja Danowski is an illustrator and analogue archivist from Regensburg, Berlin. On her work, she says "The human memory works in chronological order. Not surprising that much gets lost as elements are continually overlapped by presence and importance. Drawings are of an analogue structure which makes them available to any combination and opens access to any element. Drawn image worlds are timeless and available at any time." She works in mixed media (watercolour, ink, pencil and gouache on archival cardboard or sometimes bamboo/cotton archival paper, size 30 x 40 cm.

I have written to Sonja to see if I can pop in to see during my visit, but she can't make it as she is in the middle of a copious illustration project, but wrote back with some nice words of encouragement with the work I had sent to her. Maybe another time.

It's Raining Elephants are a collective of two illustrators, Evelyne Laube and Nina Wehrle who work together on a variety of exciting projects, and who seem to have a lot of fun in the process. I contacted them, and Evelyne wrote back straightaway with a warm welcome to "come and visit the elephant stall" when I am in Berlin, so that is great news. I love this black and white collage piece called "Wasserspiel" (Waterplay).

No comments:

Post a Comment